Friday, May 21, 2010

How do I care for my Hydrangea bushes?

I just planted 2 Hydrangea bushes.


The flowers are in full bloom now.


Do I pick them to prompt further growth?


Is there anything special that I should do to care for them?


I used a good soil (Miracle Grow) and dug to the recommended depth that the nursery told me.





I have been watering once daily. Is this too much?





Please help. I have such a black thumb but I'm giving my yard my best attempt this year.


Best answer - 10 pts! Thanks!!

How do I care for my Hydrangea bushes?
Mom,


Hydreangeas are indeed thirsty little guys. But you don't need to overdo it; three times a week should be sufficient until they get established, as they like water, but don't want to be soggy either.


There's no real need to cut them back right now, unless you want to prune them into a more desireable shape. Many of the new hydrangeas bloom on both new and old wood----meaning that they will continue to bloom throughout the summer.


You did indeed use a good soil to plant in. But Mom---this is very important---please tell me you didn't plant them in full sun; hydrangeas are shade to partial shade plants!
Reply:Don't over water them. The soil should be moist but not soggy or drenched.





Clip flowers when they start to wilt or look "spent".





You can prune back after growing season or in early spring before growing season.





You can propagate more from cuttings.





Oh -- don't over fertilize either, this can "burn" your plants.





Tough plants have fun. Remember the color of the flowers are dependent upon the pH of the soil.


No comments:

Post a Comment