Wednesday, May 19, 2010

When to prune and transplant azalea & hydrangea?

I have no gardening skills, but I need to clean up the landscaping on my new house. Most plants will be replaced in the spring, but I have a sad looking hydrangea %26amp; some overgrown azalea bushes to save. I’ve been told these plants should be pruned and I want to do that in the next 6 weeks if possible. I’m in Missouri and our weather is unpredictable this time of year.





I think my hydrangea blooms look something like this http://tinyurl.com/3cj5hp if it’s helpful. I want to save the plant, although I may want to move it when we rework the beds in the spring.





This picture isn’t he best, but the azaleas are blocking half of the bay window: http://tinyurl.com/35252x I do want to save the bushes, but they need to be shorter now. In the spring, I plan to move 1 to my backyard and I have friends who want the rest.





When should I prune these plants? Is it ok to prune now and then move the plants in the spring? Please share your knowledge and/or any websites you think would be helpf

When to prune and transplant azalea %26amp; hydrangea?
Hi:


Azaleas should be pruned after blooming. My question to you is how old are your plants? If they are older then three years, sometimes it is hard to transplant without killing the main or mother root. You could go ahead and trim back the Azaleas now. Go ahead also and give your plants a six month slow nitrogen release fertilizer. This will help them.





Older Azaleas have been known to transplant alright. I had a client that we transplanted several a couple of years ago, and most survive. A lof of it depends on the root system.





When transplanting, take your shovel and loosen the dirt all the way around. I get on my hands and knees and actually see where the mother root is. Take your shovel underneath the ball and carefully lift the plant out. Make sure your new hole is ready. Add an organic mushroom compost to your soil. This is a great organic fertilizer that will last up to a year.


You may be fine for spring transplanting. Spring and fall are the best time.





I hope this has helped some and good luck to you. I will direct you to my properly pruning page and my site map of my landscape solutions website. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me. Have a great day!


Kimberly


http://www.landscape-solutions-for-you.c...





http://www.landscape-solutions-for-you.c...
Reply:Hydrangea has over 60 species but your link did help a lot. I am also leaving you a very nice and well informed link on these beautiful flowers, it has a long list of Q%26amp;As which are quite helpful. Please be kind enough to read it.





Regarding the Azaleas I am leaving you a very well informed site, though not pretty, but very helpful. If you do what is right with the ones you have perhaps there will be no need to change them later they should not be so tall. Take a look at the advice given in the site.





Good luck.

imax theater

No comments:

Post a Comment